Livin' la Vida L.A.! Headline Animator

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Livin' Green: 'Soaptopia'




It was a lazy Sunday morning on my way to my local farmers market when I stumbled upon this really cute store, ‘Soaptopia’.  Wait a minute, a whole store about soap?  Can soap really be all that?  Curious to find out, I strolled in to check it out.  


Whoa, Nelly! It was ALL THAT and a bag of “baked kale chips!”  Soaptopia wasn’t just a soap store -  it was so much more!  As I browsed the shop I realized, Eureka!  This store is for me.  It’s a mom and pop “junk free” all natural bath and body product store and I’m in heaven. 
 
 

In the past few years, I’ve been slowly moving towards a more “green” existence.  Now, I wouldn’t call myself a “granola” or “a tree huger” (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I am a believer in living and taking care of myself in a “green fashion” - -  as much as I possibly can at least.
 





Hi Jolie
make myself comfy, why don't I? - LOL!
Jolie, the owner of the shop, greeted me as I walked in. And in front of her were these two giant racks of natural handmade bars of soaps.  All made out of plant-based ingredients, essential oils and wild-crafted raw shea butter from Senegal in western Africa.  






 

All of the 40+ handmade soaps have really cute and fun names like “Chocolate Makes Me Thorny”, “El Jabon de Mi Corazon” and “Chai and Catch Me”.  And they all smell scrumptious to boot. 




I also found lotions!!  I need to live off of lotions for my dry skin type and I use tons of the stuff but have you seen how much icky ingredients store bought lotions have?  They are laden with man made chemicals and parabens (a known carcinogen).  But not here, everything in the store is made with pure and natural ingredients. 
    


Isabelle
Isabelle, a friendly staffer, helped me pick out a face lotion called “Lavender Like No One’s Watching” 50/50 Body Balm.  You heard right, body balm.  It’s a body lotion that can also be used on the face, Whaaaat? 

I was VERY skeptical of her claim asking her a dozen times “are you sure I can use this on my face?” she assured me it was and shared with me that she also uses it for that purpose.  Her face and skin is beautiful…so in went the 50/50 body balm into my recyclable shopping bag (am I gullible?).  Anyway, I justified it by telling myself it was only $15.00.




Along with the body balm, I also bought a Lemon Rosemary natural bar of soap for $6 or 5 for $25 and a Secret Agent face wash soap bar also $6.00.  {I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that since all bars of soap are all natural, they are all face friendly}

  
Me shopping but look - I blend into the walls! Not planned at all. Too funny!

I could have kept on shopping and spending $$ because all the great products and the prices are super reasonable.  But, I am a girl on a budget and besides, I can’t go crazy spending unless I know this stuff is worth it, Right?



"Kikey Castillo's Consumer Report"
So, I’ve been using the products for a month now and here’s what I say...
 




Lemon Rosemary natural bar soap: Made with essential oils of lemon and rosemary which smells terrific, the smell actually lasts as long as the bar of soap does (can you say power of nature?).   The essential oils leave my skin feeling soft and the smell invigorates me.  The bar has lasted a reasonable about of time and I’m left feeling clean and happy.  








Secret Agent Soap: This soap is made with tea tree, willow charcoal, oatmeal, rosewood and green clay.  All perfect ingredients for your face.  The oatmeal gives it just the right touch of exfoliant.  This face soap does the trick removing all my make up including mascara, leaves my face feeling soft and clean -- not dry or taut.  I like that!








Lavender Like No One’s Watching 50/50 Body Balm: Although called a body balm this can be used as a face lotion.  Crazy right?  So, that's what I did.  And I have to tell you, I really, really liked it!  It works great.  It keeps my face soft and moisturized without the feeling greasy or heavy.  There's a subtle smell of lavender which is nice.  No unusual breakouts and the lotion in the jar has lasted a super long time.  A little goes a long way with this one.  





Kikey’s Verdict...


Definitely shop at Soaptopia!  


This store gives fancy brands a run for their money as far as quality, price point and shopping experience.


All of Soaptopia's products are B.A.T.H. (Bathe in All Things Healthy) Certified Junk Free, animal friendly, vegan, synthetic-free and petroleum-free.
  

Soaptopia has so much more than handmade soaps and lotions they also make: natural perfumes, massage candles, oil slathers, bath salts, shea lip balm, bath accessories, liquid soap, shea butter, shaving soap, gifts and so much more.  


LOVE & BE LOVED...ONE LOVE 
Soaptopia’s motto, aren't they awesome?

www.soaptopia.com
12228 1/2 Venice Blvd. | Mar Vista, CA  90066
310.398.8333 (phone) - 310.398.7949 (fax)
Hours:
M-F 10am-6pm | Sat 10am-5pm | Sun 10am-4pm (PST)


for all my international readers, they do ship international as well as domestic
Shop Away :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this blog posting! Soaptopia is absolutely the best around! I get excited every time I bathe! Chai and Catch Me is my absolute favorite! Besos for now,

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie, thanks so much for your comment. Soaptopia is now my favorite bath and body shop! I'll have to try Chai and Catch Me next :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really fun entry to read. Felt like we were shopping at the store with you.

    ReplyDelete

Hispano Bloggers Member

Hispano Bloggers Member
Member of