Livin' la Vida L.A.! Headline Animator

Friday, July 22, 2011

From Cheerleader to Chola

Capt. Sr. year
Look at those cute little chipmunk cheeks, big megawatt smile…I was a perfect candidate for a cheerleading back in H.S. and at the University of Arizona but quite the contrary for a hardened, barrio chola for film & TV in Los Angeles.  In the world of Hollywood where a lot of Latina roles call for chola's, let's face it; I haven't necessarily been their first pick.
 
But that has all turned around for me, thanks to director/writer Terence Heuston, who cast me in his short film, Maddoggin’.  Shout out to actor/producer friend Eddie, for the highly recommended referral!! 

Last night the film made its world premier screening at an Oscar-Qualifying accreditation film festival - the Latino International Film Institute & Festival (LALIFF). 

red carpet
LALIFF celebrates 15yrs
                                                                                                                                             
the two boys in film
Maddoggin’ is the story of two boys in East L.A. being pressured to join the local gang and where the choices they make over a single day alter their lives forever.  The project was proudly filmed in Boyle Heights (an East Los Angeles community), with a combination of local, professional actors and kids from the area.  All of the music and art in the film was also created by artists from Boyle Heights and surrounding East L.A communities.  The purpose of the film is to help create economic opportunity for at-risk youth.

I played Juanita, girlfriend to the head gang leader and the head of her own female gang. I had so much fun being on set filming and working with the talented cast, crew and director.  Not to mention, the role was a big opportunity for me; playing a character that I would NOT normally be cast in.  I had fun researching everything from the cadence of speech, enunciation of words and even how to apply chola makeup. Believe it or not, not all Latino’s know this automatically LOL.

The movie was a smash hit at the screening and I was proud to hear my fellow friends in the entertainment biz complimenting me about my performance and about my transformation into Juanita the chola from East LA.   



The 15th Los Angeles Latino International Film Festival (LALIFF)
July 17th – 25th, 2011
Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood
http://latinofilm.org


4 comments:

  1. You kick ass. I'm officially afraid of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vince, You should have been afraid of me from the beginning. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! ... Congratulations on a great blog! Would love to see some video on it of you kicking Hollywood in the nuts! ... Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Felix, great to hear from you! Glad you posted a comment :) I just started blogging but I'm sure I'll learn how to add video soon he he he. "Kicking Hollywood in the nuts!" LOVE IT :D

    ReplyDelete

Hispano Bloggers Member

Hispano Bloggers Member
Member of